EASY & DELICIOUS
There are so many different variations of making Curry. There’s the Indian-Style with cinnamon for flavoring and also Chinese, Thai and Malaysian Style curries with different kinds of curry spices.
The Philippines have our own way of making curry. It is flavorful and lacking heat. Some curries can be really hot and spicy depending on the spice used in the recipe. My Mom used to make Chicken Curry with Potatoes for the whole family. It is in fact a family Sunday Special dinner. Chicken fat brings in a lot of flavor in this recipe. If you are on a strict diet, you can fry the chicken first until golden brown and reduce the amount of oil in the pan before adding the rest of the ingredients.
This Curry is easy and simple to make. Whenever it’s raining in Vancouver I make this dish and it takes me all the way home with fond memories of togetherness and happy times with the family. Try making it for your family. They will love you more for it.
- 1 whole Chicken, cut up and washed
- 1 medium sized Onion, quartered
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 large Russet Potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 stalks Green Onions, diced
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- ½ can of Water from Coconut Milk can
- 3 tbsp. Curry Powder
- 3 tbsp. Fish Sauce or Patis
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- In a large soup pot, bring oil to medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for a minute until it sweats. Add the chicken pieces and fry until golden brown. Add curry powder, bay leaves and fish sauce. Sauté for another minute. Be careful not to burn the curry powder. Add coconut milk and water. Cover the pot and let it boil in medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, red bell pepper and salt. Cover and let the potatoes cook for another 30 minutes. Season to taste. Usually we use Fish Sauce as condiment to go with this dish.
- Serve with freshly cooked steamed rice. Sprinkle green onions on top for a nice presentation.