EASY & DELICIOUS
I have cut down my meat consumption in attempt to go Vegan for a change. It is good once in a while to have a Vegan dinner on a weekend. You can also make this dish ahead of time to enjoy on a weeknight. I love eggplants and mushrooms. These vegetables are my absolute favorite! I love anything chili. This combination will sweep you off your feet.
I always make my own Marinara Sauce simply because it’s cheaper and you can control the amount of sodium in it. You can make a big batch of Marinara Sauce and freeze it. It is so easy to make. You can pretty much add anything in the sauce like meatballs, prawns and even chicken. As for the pasta, you can use any kind of pasta but I prefer Spaghetti noodles. You can also try Gluten Free Pasta which is now easily available in the grocery aisle.
This dish tastes better the next day. It is delicious, healthy and quite decadent with a glass of red wine. It is after all a work of art in the kitchen.
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Water
- 1 ½ tbsps. Sugar
- ½ tsp coarse sea Salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 tbsp. dried Thyme
- 1 tbsp. dried Basil
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 package of fresh Crimini Mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 large Eggplant, washed and cubed
- ½ coarse Sea Salt
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Place cut up eggplant in a bowl and salt. Mix together and put eggplant with salt in a colander to help drain out some of the moisture from the eggplant. Place the colander on a bigger bowl to catch moisture. Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Now it’s time to make the Marinara Sauce. In a sauce pan on medium heat, add the oil and onions. Let the onions caramelize for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and basil. Saute for about a minute or two. Add ground pepper and chili flakes. Sauté for another minute.
- Carefully add Crushed Tomatoes and water in pan. Mix well. Add sugar and salt. Turn heat down to medium low and let it simmer for another 45 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, start making the Vegetable Meat. Pat dry the eggplant with paper towel and set aside.
- In a frying pan, add oil in medium high heat. Add eggplant and garlic. Sauté until the eggplant is golden brown for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Add the sautéed vegetables in the sauce and mix well.
- Top your favorite cooked pasta with the sauce and sprinkle with grated cheese. Pair it with your favorite Red Wine.
Happy eating, Vegan Lovers!